Society of Powell River

Home

Updated February 24, 2017 • ©Townsite Heritage Society 2013 • Website by BMD What’s NewAbout THSHistory ArchitectureWalking TourLinksContact

Townsite Heritage

1 - St. Luke's Hospital
2 - Dr. Henderson’s House

The Kenmar Builing was originally built for Dr. Henderson as St. Luke's Hospital in 1913. Dr. Henderson, the first practicing physician in Powell River, implemented the first medical plan in BC in 1910.

In behind St. Luke's (Kenmar Building) is the former home of Dr. Henderson. Temporary shacks and tents were the usual housing of the day in 1911.  Dr. Henderson's was one of the first actual houses completed in Townsite.

Andrew Henderson came to Powell River as a favour to his Minnesota friends, Brooks and Scanlon. He had served during the Riel Rebellion and had been Calgary's first doctor.

St. Luke's Hospital

 - circa 1913

Dr. Henderson’s House

Dr. Henderson’s house was restored by the Townsite Heritage Society in 2011. Read more about the restoration and other projects on the Society’s Blog

Townsite Walking Tour

Take a virtual stroll through Powell River’s Historic Townsite with a commentary on each tour stop.

If you would like to take an actual Tour, stop by the Townsite Heritage Society’s office for a map.

Print Map