Society of Powell River

Home

Updated February 24, 2017 • ©Townsite Heritage Society 2013 • Website by BMD What’s NewAbout THSHistory ArchitectureWalking TourLinksContact

Townsite Heritage

Dr. Andrew Henderson's House

The home referred to as Dr. Henderson's House was one of the first two homes completed in Powell River in 1911. The Powell River Company's architect at the time, Mr. Ingermann, had been asked to create a home worthy of a renowned physician.

The design was modelled after the Craftsman Style, a style which grew out of the Arts and Crafts Movement and complimented the Garden City approach then being established in Powell River. The interior of the home, however, was given a "no expense spared" treatment and featured such appointments as a circular staircase.

Dr. Henderson moved his practice from Minnesota to become Powell River's first practicing physician. Shortly after his arrival, an extension was added to the left side of his home to accommodate a waiting room and examination room. (The stairs leading to the waiting room are visible on the right side of the photo).

The home and property were given to Dr. Henderson as part of the Company's incentive plan and as such Dr. Henderson's home was the only private residence in the Powell River community.

Dr. Andrew Henderson’s extraordinary life, along with tidbits of Powell River history, are documented in a blog written by Kenneth McMillan.

Townsite Architecture - Residential Styles